berkshireanimeI finally released a big piece of software that I’ve been working on for a while. It’s an e-commerce application written in python that you can view here.

Although it doesn’t really look like there’s a lot going on with the app, it’s actually pretty complicated. The shop is combining affiliate links with in-stock physical and digitally downloadable files. The affiliate links are dynamically updated and the site also has a fully functional CMS.

This web application is a major piece of the infrastructure that MediaCrash was originally supposed to support, so it’s a major release for me and quite a weight off my shoulders. The same code will be used for a number of other sites that share the same configuration and structure.

Some of the problems I faced while putting it together were figuring out Mako’s encoding scheme and a number of gnarly SQL queries. In addition, I completely translated two separate CMS examples that I found in PHP into python. There were a number of security and encryption related issues that I had to solve too.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the code holds up in the wild!